Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Results from the Holga Self Portrait Challenge

When I posted my "10 Tips for Better Holga Self Portraits" on Holgablog, I promised to share the results of the challenge both there, as well as on my blog. So, for those who haven't seen it yet, here is my post with the results:

I was hoping to challenge the readers and toy camera shooters out there to try something different, go out of comfort zones and boxes and express themselves.

Self portraits are not about "getting your picture taken", they are about self expression (in my opinion). A lot of photographers seem to be uncomfortable in front of the camera, and I guess that is the reason why I didn't get very many submissions to this challenge (at least not as many as I was hoping for).

For me, being able to have that control over a photo of myself is comforting. I am alone, I have the freedom to photograph how I want, I can do weird things that I wouldn't ever do in front of anyone, and in the end I have the final say on the results. I love the atmospheres I have discovered while experimenting with low light, long exposures and black and white film and how it translates with a self portrait. It's like nothing I have ever felt before when photographing! I guess that's why I keep doing it, and why I wanted others to join me. Freedom, expression, experimentation - isn't that what photography is all about?

Enough of my rambling! Here are a few of my favourites from the submissions. I had to disqualify a couple of shots as they didn't appear to be self portraits...

Five against one
"Five against one"
by Lost in Pixels
Love this shot! Captures the emotion and even though he says he doesn't like being in front of the camera - he did it anyways!

Diana+WPPD270408. Self
"Diana+WPPD270408. Self"
by kycamlewis
Very cool atmosphere in this pinhole image!

Jumping Self Portrait
"Jumping Self Portrait"
by Holgatography
A great concept - very unique! Made me smile :)

Self Portrait 1 sm
"Self Portrait 1 sm"
by digitalforge
Looks like some of the same techniques that I discussed in my article were used here - I love the blur.

Full on Idle
"Full on Idle"
by Diesel.D
Great use of a toy camera, while looking cool at the same time.

selfportraite
by Thomas
Love the mood in this one, very dramatic!

Thank you to everyone who did participate! I hope in the future more of you will overcome your fear of being in front of the camera. Maybe we can do this again sometime.

The winner of the 8x8 print was Matt?!

Holga Self Portrait Tuesday

Right now, I have a mass of ideas, emotions, and visuals crammed into my head that I need to get out - so look for some more in a few weeks! I'm also going to work on a review of the new Holga wide and tele lenses.

2 comments:

  1. Great submissions! I think my favorite is the first one- Five against one. The colors are just pulling me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Jen, with some fantastic results.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers