Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holga WPC - Take 1

I have wanted a Holga WPC (Wide Pinhole Camera) for a while now, ever since it first came out actually.  Finally a couple of months ago, I broke down and ordered one.  It's a very different looking Holga, I've heard it described as a stretch limo Holga, which is very fitting.  It takes two medium format frames per shot, so you get 6 photos per roll if you use the 6x12 mask.




I took it to the shores of Lake Huron in early December to test it out for the first time.   This was also my first time using a pinhole of any sort.  I wasn't expecting great things,  but was hoping that I at least had everything working properly so that I could get some images.  I loaded it with some Ilford FP4 100 speed black and white film, and followed the guide on the back for exposure times.  We got to the beach just as the sun was setting, it was dusk and there was just barely enough light to work with.  Very pretty though, aside from the freezing cold windchill.

I discovered at the end of the shoot, that the shutter that covers the pinhole was sticking open (it's operated by a cable release), I was hoping it was just a one time thing and that I didn't end up with a defective camera.  I figured that I probably didn't get any worthwhile shots if the shutter was stuck open the whole time.  (I later on determined that it does this in the cold - once it warms up it works just fine again).

Well, by some miracle they turned out.  They are a little bleak looking due to the low light and my first time-ness - but all in all I am very happy with them, and excited to shoot some more!

The beach is now covered in ice and snow and its impossible to even get to the shore line, so I suppose I will have to wait until spring to do anymore shoots here.








For more information on the Holga WPC
C. Gary Moyer wrote a review on it which appears in the current issue of Light Leaks Magazine (The Pinhole Issue)


Now that I'm snowed in, I'm off to do some indoor tests!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I might have to get myself one of these. The softness and vignette are really something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do not need to worry about the bleakness in your shots above. They look amazing. You've shown more talent in three shots than I ever could.

    I do love this camera though. I love how you take your time, you're not rushed at all. Also, something satisfying in winding on that length of film. I'm going to go out more with it in the coming weeks. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these they really are December on the beach, having just been on ours doing the same thing! The WPC is brilliant but I would love to see some snow shots on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really nice - simple forms but really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen these are gorgeous! I love the bleakness of them - like kylewis said, it really does have that winter at the beach feeling. They are so poetic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love these! The vignetting is really fantastic... I haven't done much with pinholes but I may have to give this camera a try. How long were the exposures? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reatha~ You definitely should get one!!

    Charlie~ Thanks! I didn't know you had one too - look forward to seeing what you do with it :)

    Kylewis~ I do love the atmosphere of the beach in the winter, it's just the freezing cold that needs to be endured in order to get the shots that I'm not very fond of! I took some 'snowy' shots a few weeks after I shot these. I will have them up soon!

    Charles and Jen ~ thank you!

    Amanda~ The guide on the back of the camera says that for 100 speed film at dusk to do exposures of 13 seconds, or longer. I think I did most of these around the 15-20 second mark. But then again I'm not sure if the shutter was actually sticking open or not - if it was then they may have been a bit longer than that!

    Dave and Matt~ thank you for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wondrous photos from such a low tech device. I'm a tiny bit jealous because digital can't do this and I'm too ADHD to wait for film :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice shots! Decided to get on myself and just bought it from holga-magic.com. Can't wait to get started! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doug ~ patience is a virtue ;)

    Thank you Bengt! Good luck with your Holga!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you tried any not using a mask? I recently received one and was wondering about not using a mask. Anyone tried this?

    Randy

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers