Monday, July 4, 2011

Featured Photographer: Lucia Fischer



Born in Hamburg, Germany I migrated to Australia in 1988; a year before the wall came down. Being raised amongst a family of creatives, I developed an artistic passion early on. A jack of all trades and master of none, I dabbled in various art forms before finally deciding to focus on photography. Later I chose to break the photographic boundaries and extend my art into mixed media incorporating elements of drawing, collage and ephemera to weave abstract expression into my creations.


My main inspirations stem from Marc Auge’s concept of non-places, the Becher’s architectural studies and Diane Arbus’s obsession with the strange. My art making process involves exploratory wanderings through city back streets seeking the hidden pockets in the concrete jungle. Followed by hibernation sessions in the cocoon of my studio. I like to present my work in series form, creating narratives that focus on abandoned open spaces, urban landscapes and the emotional undertones that vibrate within them. Desolate, hazy and silent images that evoke a dreamlike nostalgia.

{ running theme }

How did you get introduced to your first Holga and how long have you been shooting?

I accidently stumbled upon my Holga camera on Ebay about 5 years ago. It seemed like a cool novelty camera to add to my collection but little did I know he would soon turn into my constant companion. I fell in love with his originality and spontaneity.

{ the tangles }
  What is it about the Holga that draws you to it? Why do you shoot with it?

Due to the cheap inconsistent design, each Holga has unique "defects". Each, in varying degrees, is prone to light leaks, vignetting, blur, and perspective distortion which gives them an individual personality. It is these elements of chance and mishap that I love. Its a way of letting go of the technicalities of photography, focusing more on the subject and allowing the individual creativity of the scene interact with the camera.


{ sleep walking }

{ the colours fade }

Please tell me a bit about your series in which you use a Holga

I have an ongoing series of work I've been working on titled 'The Holga Diaries'. It is a gritty, behind the scenes look at the city back streets of my exploratory adventures. The series depicts a raw social documentary from a subjective perspective presented with the arty style that the Holga creates.

{ vernacular }
What are some of your biggest challenges shooting with a Holga and do you have any tips for over coming them?

It takes a while to get to know the Holga camera. There is very limited exposure control which is nice in a way because if forces you to loosen up your shooting method. But it means it can be quite hit and miss and can result in a lot of blank shots. Now that I've been shooting with my Holga for a while I've gotten to know which films to use in which lighting situations, how far to push or pull the film and of course the limitations of what is possible. We've developed a relationship together, got to know each other, what we can and can't do and how to get around the limitations.

{ the joker }
{ dark waters }
What other cameras do you have in your arsenal?

I'm a bit of a vintage camera hoarder and have a shelf filled with them. The collection includes a two Holgas, a Diana, bunch of cute old box Brownies, retro Kodak instamtics, a couple of Polaroids, a Rolleiflex, Yashicas, and a few old Canons. My Holga is now my right wing man but I do like to give them all a go every now and then.

{ whispered melodies }
Favourite photo film(s)?

I love Kodak TriX for its flexibility, rich contrast and grain. I've been going through a black and white phase for some time now but I also love to shoot any kind of expired colour film when I can get my hands on it.

{ the inquisition }
What inspires you?

The work of other artists are my biggest inspiration. Whether it be the masters or emerging talent, traditional or contemporary, I love going to exhibitions, spend more money than I should on art books, and waaaaay too much time surfing the internet. I'm a visual insomniac, I saturate my mind with images to keep my creative juices boiling. I wish I was rich so I could collect art and have my own gallery! I just love seeing what other people come up with, how they see the world and the way it makes me rethink how I see it.

{ luminosity }
{ oeuvre }
You can find more about Lucia here:
http://www.luciddream.com.au/
http://lucid-dream.tumblr.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luciafischer/
http://www.etsy.com/people/luciafischer

{ homeless hearts }

4 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this interview. Lucia's very talented, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are amazing, magical, magnificent! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Very nice, even. I know Lucia from before this post, and I must say I simply adore the work. Keep posting! :)

    ___
    Simply Fone

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'adore ce que tu fais !
    BRavo pour ton univers.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers