Tuesday, February 14, 2012

KISH: Keep it Simple Holga!

“Life is not complex.  We are complex.  Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing.” ~Oscar Wilde

Now replace Life with Holga in that quote and you'll see where I'm going ;)  One of my favorite things about the Holga is its simplicity and how I can use that to draw out more complex emotions in my self portraits. 



I worked on some more this weekend and kept it simple - a plain sheet as my background and a few basic tools, all done in the comfort of my basement.



So I guess my tip for today is to keep it simple!  Happy Holga-ing!

2 comments:

  1. That's so beautiful! Can you share any tips about how you get that level of dreaminess and halation? I've played around with focus, bulb setting, and even Vaseline to try and soften an already soft lens, but the photos always come out simply blurry rather than misty. I've come close to something I'm satisfied with but it's never this extreme and this breathtaking. Truth be told it's actually caused me to shelve my Holga for months on end because I just can't get a look I'm happy with. I don't want to give up though...

    Anyway. Any advice on technique you could give to a novice like me would be fantastic! I love your blog. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - sorry I did not respond to you sooner! This particular shot was using a long exposure, I didn't do anything else special to get the dreaminess (I was in the water though). A lot of it has to do with the camera itself - every Holga is different and some have more blur/dreaminess around the edges than others. I used a Holga TLR here, and this particular camera does seem to have more of this quality than my other Holgas. So, don't give up! - maybe get a new Holga and compare it with the one you already have?

      Delete

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers