Thursday, November 26, 2015

Breaking News: Holga Factory Closure


It's a sad time for Holga fans (including myself) as we received notice this week of the Holga factory closing its doors.  I have heard from a few different sources of this news and it doesn't sound promising.  Here are some links and information about the factory closure news.

From Freestyle Photographic Supplies

"Freestyle Photographic announced today that the factory that produces Holga Cameras has ceased operations and will no longer be producing these Cameras and accessories...
According the factory spokesperson in China, “…all Holga tooling has already been thrown away and there is nothing available for sale.”  Inventory is still available throughout the United States and around the world, but as units sell out, they will be no longer available." 

From HolgaMods Facebook Page

"... they have now confirmed that, before giving us an opportunity to save them, they have sent all of the tooling and molds to the scrapyard.
If Holga is ever reborn, it will be from scratch; and, as the company with the most knowledge on the sales trends of these cameras, we just don't see that happening..."


I've heard that it wasn't just Holga that shut down, other factories by the same maker were also shut down in that location, so it is probably not due to lack of sales or popularity, but due to some other reasons beyond their control.  In any case, I'm sorry I had to post this. 

My blog will continue to spread the Holga love, as Holgas now become more precious than ever and we can cherish them and their quirkiness even more!  If you own one, take good care of it, and if you don't now is the time to get one before they all sell out!

The Holga was my intro into the film and fine art world of photography and it will always hold a very special place in my heart.  I have been using one for over 10 years, and I will continue to do so for as long as I possibly can!

I will update this post if any further information becomes available.

HolgaJen



No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers