Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Projects and Discovery

"The job of a photographer is not to produce decoration for other people's walls and homes, it's a real voyage of discovery, and I think it's an authentic way to go through life. It's a way of discovering things, finding things, experiencing things..." ~Michael Kenna

That sentence really spoke to me today so I thought I would share it with you all.

The Emptiness of Hope

The Emptiness of Hope
Holga, Ilford HP5 film
Self Portrait, 2009


The title of this photo is a bit sombre, but it is a line from a song by a band whose work inspires me every time I listen to them. A lot of my self portraits are inspired by lyrics to their songs which I feel a deep connection to. So, although it may come off as depressing or sad at first, it's really me discovering what inspires me and my attempts to reflect that through my photos.

Experience The Neverending White Lights

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I totally agree. Theres so much honesty in a raw photograph. In our world of photoshop nowadays I think that it's easy to overlook the true power of an honest photo. Great work, it's almost manic feeling and somber at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very artistic Jen!
    It's good you found a niche where you can express your creative self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the same as not playing for the audience, but for yourself. If you play what you feel, or in a photographic sense discover something, then the audience or viewer will feel or discover it, to. I notice a lot more around me since taking up photography.

    I like the hint of bondage in this as it reinforces the effect of the tight vignetting.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers