Thursday, October 29, 2009

What do you look for in Photos?

Something that Joerg Colberg wrote on his blog Conscientious recently, on what he looks for in photography, struck a chord with me. 

"Transformative photography is photography that changes you as a person, that asks questions (instead of answering them). You're not the same person any longer after you've looked at it - and given the nature of this experience, it usually cannot be depleted (even though it might become weaker with time)."

This is something I strive for in my work.  I don't think I am there yet (although I don't know if I would know it if I was either) but I think its a very good explanation, and is a great goal to work towards as a photographer.  This is also something that I look for when looking at others work - photos that resonate so strongly that I do not forget them, and that somehow change me, my thoughts or my perceptions.  I love a challenge, and I love things that don't make sense, at least not in an obvious way.

What do you strive for in your own work?  What do you look for in photos?



The Ending of a Story II
"Words can fill your soul but all your pages turn away"
Holga, Ilford HP5 film
Self portrait, 2009

5 comments:

  1. This one is great! I just got my first few Holga rolls developed. I put them on my blog. I'm excited about doing some self portraits soon as well. This is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and photo. Your photography has great bones with a nice edge.

    I like photography that stirs up an emotion, I have to connect on some level. My style is still being molded and I am learning a lot but I hope to achieve this with my work one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I read this, I looked back over many of my pictures on my smugmug gallery. Much of them are simply a way of following my life over the past five years. But what I look for on a different level is photos that make you think; you keep returning wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shot. Good question!
    I used to have an axiom when I was a musician: "move them, groove them and make them go wow". That was the aim over the course of a gig or an ablbum. Kinda works for photography too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am unable to explain what I look for in my own photos, much as I am unable to say why my photos turn out as they do. In others' work I like strong emotions, bright colours or lots of contrast, mystery and shock.

    I haven't the language skills to properly elucidate :-)

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Twitter Updates

Followers